Bacon Cheddar Muffins
Soft, savoury muffins packed with melted Cheddar and bacon bits. Baked ahead of time and warmed over the campfire, these muffins are perfect as a quick and easy breakfast or as a side to a bowl of campfire chili.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Thoroughly grease a muffin tin to prevent the cheese from sticking.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, crumbled bacon and shredded cheese. Stir until the ingredients are well coated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, the Natrel Lactose Free, and oil together. Add to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. To keep the muffins soft and fluffy, do not overmix. It’s OK to have a few lumps in the batter.
- Spoon batter into the greased muffin tins and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Allow the muffins to cool completely before storing them in sealed containers or freezer bags.
- To heat the muffins during your camping trip, make a sturdy pouch out of tinfoil by placing two large pieces of tinfoil on top of each other. Fold in half and crimp the edges to seal, leaving an opening at the top. Place the muffins inside the package and crimp the opening shut. Place the tinfoil package on a grill over the fire. Allow it to sit until the muffins are heated through - approximately 5-15 minutes, depending on how far the grill is from the fire coals. Flip the package over after a few minutes to help the muffins warm evenly.
- Carefully open the package and enjoy the warm muffins.