Baked sweet potato and zucchini hash with eggs
The morning after we have our big Thanksgiving dinner, our family gets together once more for brunch. One of the dishes my cousin makes is a hash with chunks of sweet potato and sausage. This is my version, made with shredded sweet potato and zucchini, and baked with eggs on top. I like to serve this hash with crumbled sausage, goat cheese, red pepper and lots of arugula for a fabulous autumn meal, either for brunch or dinner.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Shred the sweet potatoes using a box grater or food processor. You can also use a julienne peeler, as I did, to shred the sweet potato into long, thin spaghetti-like strips. In a large bowl, toss the shredded sweet potato with ¾ tsp. of salt. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Shred the zucchini in the same manner. In a medium bowl, toss the zucchini with ¼ tsp. of salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Melt 1 tbsp. (15 ml) of butter in a skillet and cook the leek until softened. Transfer the leek to another large bowl along with the coriander.
- Squeeze the liquid from the salted vegetables, starting with the zucchini. Transfer the squeezed veggies to the large bowl with the leeks and coriander, and toss to combine. Generously season with pepper.
- Melt ¼ cup (60 ml) of butter in the microwave. Drizzle over the bowl of veggies and toss for several minutes to coat well.
- Transfer the shredded veggie mixture to a large ovenproof dish (about 12 inches in diameter and 2 to 3 inches deep).
- Bake the hash for about 50 minutes or until the edges begin to brown and crisp up.
- Meanwhile, remove the meat from the sausage casing and crumble it into a hot non-stick skillet. Cook the meat until it’s browned and well done, breaking up the chunks into smaller pieces.
- Just before the hash has finished cooking, remove the dish from the oven. Using the back of a spoon, carefully press down to create four wells in the hash. Crack an egg into each well.
- Carefully put the dish back in the oven and bake for another 5 to 7 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Remove the dish from the oven and top with the red pepper, chorizo, goat cheese and arugula. Season with pepper and serve immediately.