Cheddar Mac & Cheese with asparagus and poached eggs — Week 19: Easter egg hunt
Winter is almost over and the weather is gradually becoming milder. Springs calls for lighter, fresher recipes.
In light of this week’s theme and the traditional association between Easter and ham and eggs, I wanted to make a macaroni and cheese that would be a big hit at Easter brunch.
Grilled lemon asparagus in a creamy, cheddar-based béchamel sauce, and topped with a poached egg—the perfect dish for a family meal. It’s sure to please and can be served alongside the traditional ham.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place asparagus on a baking sheet. Garnish with lemon zest, seasons with salt and pepper, and drizzle with the oil.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until they’re tender and start to turn golden.
- In a pot, melt the butter and soften the garlic and onion.
- Add the flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Add the milk and cream, beating with a whisk to obtain a smooth sauce. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Mix the cheddar, parmesan and then the pasta into the sauce. Pour into a baking dish and cover with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden. Garnish with the asparagus and poached eggs.