Frittata-style Mac & Cheese with Damafro Ricotta – Week 24: Breakfast-style
For this week’s Breakfast-style theme, I opted for a Frittata-inspired Mac & cheese. Ever tried a frittata? It’s a flat omelette that whips up in a flash and can be finished in the oven.
This Mac & Cheese is cooked in a saucepan with spinach and a generous helping of Damafro ricotta. The eggs are cracked directly on top during the final oven stage and baked until the yolks are runny.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and sweat the onion and garlic.
- Add the flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the milk and cream, beating with a whisk until smooth. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Add the spinach and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in cheeses and then pasta.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- About 3 minutes before the meal has finished cooking, crack eggs directly on top of the Mac & cheese and bake. Egg yolks should remain runny.
- Garnish with the chives and dollops of ricotta.