Ham and vegetable spiral mini-quiches
There’s nothing like brunch to bring family and friends together on the weekend. I love it when everyone takes time out to spend a few hours in conversation enjoying good food and coffee. It’s as if time stands still! To make serving easier, I’ve gotten into the habit of cooking dishes that can be divided into individual servings. I set the dish in the centre of the table and everyone serves themselves as they wish.
These mini-quiches, with their colourful, springtime look, are a perfect example. Incredibly simple to make, I guarantee they will be a hit at your next brunch. If you are expecting a large group, you can easily double the ingredients. Send out the invites!
- Place the rack in the centre of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Carefully wash the vegetables under water. Cut them lengthwise into ribbons using a mandoline or peeler.
- Bring some water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the vegetable ribbons, except for the eggplant, and blanche for 3 minutes, covered. Drain and immediately transfer to a container of cold water for about 2 minutes to stop the cooking process. Drain again.
- In a bowl, mix the milk and eggs using a whisk until the mixture is consistent. Season with salt and pepper. Line 12 muffins moulds with a slice of ham. Baste the bottom of each mould with some mustard. Pour in 1/8 cup (25 ml) of the egg mixture and then add 1 tbsp. (15 ml) of cheese. Set aside.
- Now make the vegetable-ham spirals by carefully winding from the centre, skin-side up . Start with the carrots then the zucchini, continue with the eggplant and finally the remaining ham (cut each slice in half lengthwise to make 12 pieces). Transfer each spiral to a mould.
- Cook in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the mini-quiches are slightly golden. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Serve with a green salad.