Jalapeno and cheddar cornbread muffins
These cornbread muffins are great served with a summer chili, but they also make a wonderful savoury snack.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease two 6-muffin-cup pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda together. Add the cheese, corn and finely diced jalapeno. Stir everything together. Set aside.
- Whisk together the milk and vinegar in a medium bowl (preferably with a spout). Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the melted butter, eggs and honey. Stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Give the mixture about 20 stirs (don’t overmix!).
- Divide the muffin batter evenly among the muffin pans. Top each muffin with a slice or two of jalapeno.
- Bake the muffins for about 25 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned and a cake tester inserted into the middle of one comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes before carefully unmoulding (with the help of a knife if necessary).