Mac & Cheese with Agropur 1-Year-Old Grand Cheddar and Chorizo – Week 39: South of the Border
This week’s “South of the Border” theme reminds me of Latin cuisine. Enchiladas, chilis, tamales, sopas, tostadas, and chicharrones. Simple yet oh-so-tasty cuisine!
So I decided to make Mac & Cheese with Agropur 1-year-old Grand Cheddar, chorizo, and grilled shrimps flambéed in tequila. This is my nod to this ultra flavourful cuisine!
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and brown sausage.
- Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeño peppers, and garlic. Continue cooking for a few minutes to soften vegetables.
- Stir in flour.
- Add milk and cream and stir until smooth.
- Stir in the cheese, then the pasta. Pour into a baking dish and cover with panko.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.
TEQUILA FLAMBÉ SHRIMPS
- In the meantime, heat butter in a skillet and sauté shrimps.
- Flambé shrimps in tequila and drizzle with lime juice. Season with salt and pepper and serve over macaroni.
- Garnish with chives and lime zest to taste.