Mac & Cheese with cauliflower and roasted garlic — Week 20: Lactose free
According to a nutritionist, apart from unripened cheeses such as cottage cheese, ricotta, cream cheese and so on, cheese naturally contains very little lactose. A good rule of thumb: The lower the percent humidity in the cheese, the lower the lactose content. What’s more, a wide array of lactose free dairy products has hit the market in recent years.
In light of this week’s theme, I realized that there’s no reason why we can’t make a creamy and delicious lactose free mac & cheese.
This week’s mac & cheese is made with lactose free Allégro cheese, cauliflower and roasted garlic. Golden and sweet, the cauliflower is simply delectable.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut off the top of the garlic head, add a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap it in aluminum foil.
- Place the cauliflower pieces on a baking sheet. Drizzle with half of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake cauliflower and garlic for about 30 minutes or until roasted and tender.
- Press the garlic into a blender or food processor and add half of the cauliflower. Process until puréed. Set aside.
- In a pot, heat the rest of the oil and soften onion.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Gradually add the Natrel Lactose Free 2% and cream, beating with a whisk to obtain a smooth sauce. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Mix cauliflower purée, roasted cauliflower and half of the lactose free cheese into the sauce.
- Pour into a baking dish and top with the rest of the lactose free cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden. Garnish with the green onions.