Mac & Cheese with Chèvre des Alpes and Tuna – Week 40: Picnic
Ah, summertime! This week’s “Picnic” theme had me thinking of fresh salads, which are so delicious and popular at this time of year.
That led me to the idea of a tuna salad–style Mac & Cheese. I combined tuna poached in olive oil, green onions, and capers–a little bit like rillettes–with pasta and Chèvre des Alpes cheese. Topped with crushed chips, it’s a pleasure to share!
- In a bowl, combine all tuna topping ingredients. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and brown the leeks. Add garlic and continue cooking for a few minutes.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Add milk and cream, beating with a whisk until smooth.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cheese and the tuna mixture, followed by the pasta, and heat thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add herbs and serve.