Mexican Molé Chicken Drumsticks
Mexican-inspired comfort food.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a pot, cook onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, chocolate milk, tomatoes, chipotle pepper, and salt, stirring to blend. Cover and allow to simmer 5–6 minutes.
- In a large pan, dry-roast remaining ingredients (minus chocolate, maple syrup, chicken, and green onions) 3–4 minutes. Remove from heat, then transfer to the pot along with maple syrup and chocolate. Stir to blend.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and allow to simmer for approx. 5 minutes. Purée using hand blender. Adjust seasoning.
- Place drumsticks on a large baking sheet and brush generously with sauce. Bake approx. 45 minutes or until chicken is well done, brushing drumsticks with more sauce every 10 minutes and turning over halfway through baking. The chicken needs to cook 5–10 minutes after the final brushing to avoid cross-contamination.
- To serve, spread some sauce on a plate and lay drumsticks on top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.