Piri-piri Mac & Cheese with Chèvre des Alpes – Week 30: Portuguese-style
Portuguese cooks are known for their tasty, heavily spiced grilled meats. A staple street food and takeout option, Portuguese chicken is delicious all on its own, or served in a salad or tortilla—so why not in Mac & Cheese?
And don’t worry about cooking the chicken if you’re running short on time—there are plenty of good Portuguese rotisserie places!
The juicy smoky chicken is basted with a spicy sauce of piri-piri, paprika, and garlic. In a Mac & Cheese with chorizo and Chèvre des Alpes goat cheese, it’s simply succulent!
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a saucepan, melt butter and soften onion and garlic.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Add milk and cream, beating with a whisk until smooth.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Stir in Manchego, followed by the pasta and diced Portuguese chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a baking dish and cover with Chèvre des Alpes goat cheese, black olives, and green onions.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden. Garnish with diced Portuguese chicken (optional).