Shepherd’s Pie Mac & Cheese – Week 35: Québec-style
The quintessential comfort dish of Québec cuisine, pâté chinois, is Québec's own version of Shepherd's Pie.
For this week’s Québec-style theme, I thought of this tasty dish right away.
So I made a Mac & Cheese with layers of super creamy macaroni, cheese curds, Il Villaggio Parmesan, ground veal, and puréed carrots. Topped with crispy breadcrumbs, it’s downright delicious!
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a saucepan, melt butter and add flour. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add milk and cream, beating with a whisk until smooth.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Add half the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a pan, melt butter and soften onion and garlic. Add meat and continue cooking until browned.
- Add half the béchamel sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine pasta and remaining béchamel.
- Pour in a baking dish, alternating layers of meat, cheese curds, and puréed carrots.
- Cover with remaining Parmesan and top with panko.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until browned on top.