Sparkly Butter Shortbread Cookies
This sugar cookie recipe is extremely convenient to have during the holidays because you can make the dough ahead of time, then bake the cookies when you need them. That means less work and less stress during one of the busiest times of the year. Feel free to dress up the edges with your favourite coloured sugar sprinkles or even raw sugar. They provide a lovely crunch and lots of sparkle.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar for several minutes until they are well mixed. Mix in the vanilla and then the egg. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- Add the flour and salt, and mix everything together on low until a dough forms.
- Press the dough together and shape it into a square log that is approximately 2” x 2” x 7.5”.
- Spread the red sugar sprinkles over a rimmed baking sheet or large cutting board. Carefully press the cookie dough log into the sprinkles to coat it evenly on all sides. Wrap the cookie dough in plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice the cookie dough into approximately 28 cookies (they should be fairly thin, between ⅛” and ¼”). Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets, 1” apart. Bake the cookies on the middle rack until they just begin to brown on the edges (about 15 minutes). Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.