FOR THE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar to the egg whites and beat until they are stiff and glossy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Add the milk and vanilla and slowly beat until combined. Beat in the flour and baking powder. Incorporate the melted margarine.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool on a wire rack. Run a knife around the inside of the pan and remove the cake.
FOR THE STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM
- In a small saucepan, combine gelatin and cold water and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Place over low heat and stir constantly until the gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, add the sugar to the cream and whip until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the gelatin while beating. Add the vanilla.
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Slice the cake horizontally into two layers.
- Place the bottom layer on a serving plate. Arrange half of the strawberries over the cake and spread half of the whipped cream on top.
- Place the second layer over the first layer. Spread the other half of the whipped cream on the cake. Garnish the cake with the remaining half of the strawberries.