Tomato Soup Mac & Cheese with ANCO Medium Cheddar – Week 44: Legumes
Since we’re in the middle of harvest season and tomatoes are at their best, I thought of creating a tomato soup Mac & Cheese with fresh herbs and legumes, layered with slices of ANCO medium cheddar.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- In a saucepan, melt butter and add flour. Stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Add milk, beating with a whisk until smooth.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Mix in Parmesan, then pasta. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and sauté onion and garlic.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add cream and continue cooking for a few minutes. Purée if desired.
- Add beans and basil.
- In a baking dish, alternate layers of pasta, sauce, and cheese slices.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.