Vegetarian Pot Pie
This pot pie is loaded with veggies and red lentils for lots of fibre and protein. The biscuit topping is a lighter but delicious alternative to the traditional puff pastry crust.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place rack in the middle of the oven.
- In a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the onions, leeks, and carrots and cook until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and chopped potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have softened and shrunk.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir to coat. Add red lentils, then broth and milk, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth. Cover and cook until lentils are cooked, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in peas and fresh parsley. Pour into a 9x13” baking dish.
- Combine milk and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Using a pastry cutter or your hands, work butter into the flour until the mixture is coarse and the remaining bits of butter are pea-sized.
- Pour the milk mixture over the dry ingredients and stir in with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula. Once a shaggy dough has formed, use your hands to bring the rest of it together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat down with your hands until it’s about ½” thick. Using a round biscuit cutter (or clean can or glass,) cut 8 biscuits out of the dough. You may need to reshape the bits of leftover dough to make the biscuits. Place biscuit rounds on top of filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown and are no longer doughy on the bottom.