We offer you an innovative, gourmet version of mac & cheese with alternated layers of creamy cheese macaroni, grilled eggplant, mashed tomatoes and goat cheese. A weekday vegetarian dish that’s fancy enough for guests.
- 375 g casarecci pasta or other short pastas, cooked al dente
- ¼ cup Natrel Organic butter
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- 2½ cups Natrel Organic 1% milk
- 1 cup Il Villaggio Parmesan, grated
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, sliced
- 1 can. 19 oz. of italian tomatoes, drained and mashed
- 2 thyme sprigs, leaves only
- 225 g goat cheese Agropur
- 1 cup coarse breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Natrel Organic butter, melted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Disgorge the eggplant, rinse well with cold water and dry it out.
- In a pot, melt the butter and soften the garlic.
- Add the flour and stir 1 minute, making sure that the flour doesn’t brown.
- Gradually add milk, beating with a whisk to obtain a smooth sauce. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Mix the parmesan and pasta into the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a pan, heat the oil and brown eggplant. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a baking dish, layer pasta, eggplant, mashed tomatoes, thyme and goat cheese. Finish with an eggplant, tomato, and goat cheese layer. Garnish with breadcrumbs mixed with melted butter. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.