Tender braised pork belly with crispy crackling topped with pickled cucumber and carrots, cilantro, hoisin sauce and sriracha - all tucked into soft, pillow-y slider buns.
Braised Pork Belly
- 1 POUND pork belly
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 to 3 cups Natrel Lactose Free 2% (just enough to cover the belly)
- 3 OR 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 inch knob of fresh garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 12 small slider buns
- Black sesame seeds
- Hoisin sauce, to taste
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Sriracha, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Generously season pork belly with salt and pepper on all sides. Rub the belly with Chinese five spice. Place the belly, fat side up, in a small, deep, oven-safe roasting dish and cover with Natrel Lactose Free. Add crushed garlic and ginger.
- Roast, uncovered, for 3 hours. Remove the belly from the oven and place in another roasting dish, discarding the Natrel Lactose Free mixture. Turn the heat up to 400°F. Roast until deep golden brown, basting every ten minutes, for a total of 30 minutes or until the crackling is brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven, place on a plate or cutting board and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing into 1-cm slices.
- Toss cucumber and carrot with salt and sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes, then rinse off and drain well.
- If desired, brush the tops of the slider buns with a bit of oil, then sprinkle on black sesame seeds and toast.
- Split buns in half and brush with hoisin sauce. Top with slices of pork belly, cucumbers, carrots, fresh cilantro, and sriracha. Enjoy immediately.