ANCO Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese — Week 18: Smoked
With this week’s theme in mind, I explored the smoky, spicy side of certain ingredients for my macaroni and cheese.
I wondered about what ingredients to use. Smoked cheese, chipotle or sausage? And why not smoked paprika in my buttered breadcrumb mixture? Or maybe a smoked tea like Lapsang Souchong? Hmm, this is getting interesting.
My objective was to use the right amount of each ingredient to get a well-balanced macaroni and cheese in terms of flavour and texture.
I finally opted for a smoked Gouda tea sauce. Its delicate flavour goes really well with the crispy, smoked paprika breadcrumb topping.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, half of the parmesan, paprika and butter.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden.
- In a pot, melt the butter and soften the garlic.
- Add the flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Add brewed tea and milk, beating with a whisk to obtain a smooth sauce.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Mix in half of the cheddar, smoked Gouda, half of the parmesan and pasta. Pour into a baking dish, cover with the remaining cheddar, breadcrumbs and chorizo.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.