Caramelized Pear and Spice Cake
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and honey over high heat. Add pears.
- Cook pears until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and transfer to a plate. Allow to cool, then refrigerate to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large saucepan, warm Natrel Lactose Free over medium heat. With the tip of a knife, slice vanilla bean lengthwise and remove grains. Add grains, bean and spices to Natrel Lactose Free. Add sugar and stir gently.
- Add rice and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently, until Natrel Lactose Free is almost completely absorbed by rice. Remove anise, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with a whisk. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Using a spatula, gently fold egg yolks and egg whites into rice.
- Spread batter evenly in a greased 10" cake pan. Bake for approximately 1 hour.
- Arrange caramelized pear slices atop cake and serve.