Caramelized Pear and Spice Cake
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and honey over high heat. Add pears.
- Cook pears until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and transfer to a plate. Allow to cool, then refrigerate to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large saucepan, warm milk over medium heat. With the tip of a knife, slice vanilla bean lengthwise and remove grains. Add grains, bean and spices to milk. Add sugar and stir gently.
- Add rice and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently, until milk is almost completely absorbed by rice. Remove anise, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with a whisk. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Using a spatula, gently fold egg yolks and egg whites into rice.
- Spread batter evenly in a greased 10" cake pan. Bake for approximately 1 hour.
- Arrange caramelized pear slices atop cake and serve.