Chicken, Pancetta, and Veggie Stew
Perfectly balanced and full of lean protein, veggies and greens, this one-pot dish is sure to become a weeknight go-to.
- Lightly coat the chicken legs in flour, shaking off any excess. In a large, deep dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil to the pan and cook the pancetta and mushrooms for 3 or 4 minutes. Add in the leeks and garlic and continue cooking until the mixture is softened and golden brown, about 5 more minutes. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Pour the stock and wine into the pot and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.
- Tie the thyme and rosemary together with butcher’s twine. Return the chicken to the pot along with the herbs and lemon peelings and cook, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes, cover again, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the pancetta, leek, garlic and mushroom mixture into the pot along with the kale and milk. Stir frequently, without disrupting the chicken too much. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes or until the kale is bright green and tender enough to eat and the potatoes have cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with crusty bread to sop up the juices.