Creamy Pappardelle with Seared Scallops
Hearty pappardelle noodles are coated with a flavourful cream sauce and topped with buttery seared scallops.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Remove the small side muscle from the scallops. Rinse with cold water and pat to dry. Keep cool and set aside.
- Dissolve bouillon cube in ½-cup hot water.
- In a medium size skillet, heat 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté until the onion is soft, about 6 minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add dissolved bouillon to the skillet, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream, Natrel Lactose Free 2%, parmesan cheese and scallions. Continue stirring over low heat until the sauce is hot. Remove from heat before it comes to a boil. Cover and keep warm.
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Add the remaining 2 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil to a sauté pan and place it on high heat. Once the butter and olive oil have begun to smoke, add the scallops to the pan, making sure they are not touching each other. Sear for about 1 ½ minutes on each side, or until a golden crust forms. Remove pan from heat.
- The scallops are best served immediately. They can become rubbery if left in the pan to long. Quickly plate the pappardelle, cover with cream sauce and top with seared scallops. Garnish with fresh ground pepper and serve immediately.