Mac & Cheese with Agropur Grand Cheddar Aged 2 Years and Marrow Bones – Week 33: Carnivorous
If you’re a carnivore just like me, you love bone marrow. Buttery, rich, and fatty and full of meaty, nutty goodness, marrow is absolutely delicious on grilled bread with a little salt. It’s not light, but it sure is tasty!
For this week’s Carnivores theme, I wanted to showcase marrow bones in a delicious Mac & Cheese.
A super creamy Mac & Cheese featuring Agropur Grand Cheddar aged 2 years and marrow bones seasoned with Espelette pepper and topped with garlic thyme breadcrumbs, served with grilled
croutons and persillade—a carnivore’s dream! A delightful dish!
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place bones on a baking sheet.
- Season with Espelette pepper, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until bones are broiled and marrow is warm.
- In the meantime, in a saucepan, melt butter and soften onion and garlic.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Add milk and cream, beating with a whisk until smooth.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Add half the cheese, followed by the pasta. Pour into a baking dish and cover with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden. Serve with marrow bones and persillade.