Mac & Cheese with Le Superbe Gruyère, Butter-Poached Lobster, and Grilled Pork Belly – Week 38: Surf ‘n’ Turf
Surf ’n’ Turf is a classic 1970s dish that combines meat and seafood—most often rib steak and lobster with garlic butter. However, there are many variations, such as porchetta and lobster or calamari stuffed with meat.
For this week’s “Surf ‘n’ Turf” theme, I wanted to use lobster. And no, I didn’t want to cover it with a slice of grilled steak!
Instead I arranged grilled pork belly seasoned with smoked salt and, of course, butter-poached lobster (not overdone, to preserve its tenderness) over pasta with Le Superbe Gruyère cheese.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and soften onion and garlic.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Add lobster stock, milk, and cream, beating with a whisk until smooth.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Add half the cheese, followed by the pasta. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat butter over medium and poach lobster pieces for about 5 minutes.
- Season pork belly slices with smoked salt. In another skillet, brown slices in a little butter and olive oil.
- When ready to serve, top Mac & Cheese with lobster, grilled pork, and chives.