Maple Caramel Custard
- Mix water and sugar in a saucepan. Cook on high heat until caramel has an amber colour.
- Immediately pour into 6 custard cups or ramekins. Lightly stir so that caramel covers ¼ inch of the edges; let cool. The caramel will harden slightly.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring partly skimmed maple milk to a simmer.
- Pour the hot milk over the eggs, whisking constantly until fully combined. Remove foam on top of the mixture with a skimmer.
- Pour into 6 custard cups or ramekins. Place them in a deep, oven-safe pot and pour simmering water in the latter pot until it reaches the ⅔ of the cup or ramekins’ height.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the custard is set in the centre.
- Cool at room temperature and turn over onto plates when ready to serve.