Mussels with cream, leeks, sun-dried tomatoes and peas
Mussels are now my dish of choice for any enjoyable evening spent with friends. They’re ready in no time and can be savoured slowly.
I exaggerate only slightly when I say my life changed the moment I discovered lactose free cream. I can now liberally use lactose free cream in my recipes for mussels. The creaminess it adds is simply glorious.
- Rinse and drain the mussels. They should be tightly closed. Throw out any mussel that remains closed or that does not open when gently tapped against a flat surface (this should trigger a reflex to close ).
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and sweat the leeks. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and white wine. Bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, add the chicken broth, cream, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Let simmer for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the mussels and peas to the pot and cook, covered, on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the mussels are opened, remove the pot from the heat.
- Throw away any mussels that are still closed. Serve the mussels with french fries.