Shrimp kebabs, fresh wasabi edamame cappuccinos and garlic-thyme-ginger butter
Joanna, the creative mind behind the blog À la vie, à la mode, shares a recipe for barbecued shrimp kebabs that make the perfect summertime meal.
- Begin by preparing the marinade. In a large bowl, mix the shrimp with the garlic, ginger, lime juice, olive oil and cayenne pepper. Season with pepper and set aside in the refrigerator (at least 20 minutes).
- In a small bowl, mix together all the flavoured butter ingredients until the mixture is uniform. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Now make the edamame cappuccinos (similar to a very light iced potage made with milk mousse).
- Bring 100 ml of milk to a simmer in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and add the lime zest (reserving a small amount as garnish for the cappuccinos) to infuse. Let cool. Add the whipping cream and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Plunge the edamame into a large pot of bowling salted water and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.
- Place the edamame in a blender (or leave in the pot used to cook them in and use a hand mixer), add the shallot, pepper, salt and broth. Mix together while gradually adding the 400 ml of milk and wasabi. Continue until the mixture is smooth and light (if you find the mixture too thick, add a little milk). Strain the edamame mixture to remove lumps, cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Oil the BBQ grill and preheat to medium heat.
- Remove the shrimp from the refrigerator. Thread 4 or 5 (depending on size) onto the double skewers (or 2 single); this will ensure the shrimp stay in place during cooking.
- Place the kebabs on the grill and cook for about 3 minutes on each side.
- To make the cappuccinos, divide the edamame mixture between 3 glasses so they are three-quarters full. In a bowl, vigorously beat the infused milk to create a mousse.
- Using a spoon, top each glass of edamame mixture with the infused mousse. Garnish with lime zest.
- Serve the hot kebabs accompanied by the garlic, thyme and ginger butter, and the edamame cappuccinos.