Gluten Free Flavourful Sunday Stoop Snacks

September 2014

With the kids outside taking advantage of an early fall afternoon, what better way to wow the family than by preparing tasty and easy-to-eat snacks, perfect for eating on the porch while basking in the last rays of the day?

 

Enter culinary queen Kris Osborne, author of the food blog 80Twenty. Her mantra is to eat nourishing, healthy food 80% of the time, and use the other 20% to splurge. Her appetite for tasty, healthy, approachable, local, and seasonal ingredients inspires gastronomic joy and provides ideas on how to follow the 80/20 rule, even with dietary sensitivities. Gluten and lactose can be a real pain in the snacks, but with tasty tips from Kris and products like Natrel Lactose Free milk, we’ve got you covered! Check out Kris’ two delicious gluten and lactose free snack recipes below.

Gluten 101

Gluten doesn't have to be a mystery. Nutritionist Bernard Lavallée shares a few gluten facts to help you understand this substance.

 

 

  1. Gluten is made up of two proteins: glutenin and glyadine.
  2. Gluten is found in many cereals, including rye, wheat, barley, and triticale. All of the products made from these cereals also contain gluten.
  3. Gluten is responsible for the texture that we love in bread products and baked goods. It makes bread soft and chewy.
  4. Many processed foods contain gluten because parts of certain grains that contain gluten are used as food additives.
  5. Most people have no trouble digesting gluten.
  6. Approximately 1% of the population suffers from coeliac disease. These individuals have an abnormal reaction when they consume gluten. Their immune system attacks their intestinal wall, causing intestinal distress.
  7. People who suffer from coeliac disease have many intestinal symptoms that indicate poor digestion. Over time, they are at risk for various nutritional deficiencies, as their intestine becomes too affected by the disease to function properly.
  8. It is common for people with coeliac disease to develop a lactose intolerance. Usually, when they stop having gluten, these people can resume consuming lactose-containing foods with the consent of a medical professional.
  9. Some people don’t have coeliac disease but still have an adverse reaction to gluten, most commonly in the form of stomach cramps. It’s important not to eliminate gluten from your diet without first consulting a doctor or nutritionist- it could falsify medical test results.
  10. There are several foods that are naturally gluten free and can be used in baked goods or as part of a meal: quinoa, rice, corn, buckwheat, soy, potatoes, chick peas, amaranth, millet, and sorghum. Always look for the "gluten free" certification on these products if you have coeliac disease.

By Bernard Lavallée, M. Sc., Dt. P. | nutritionnisteurbain.ca

 

Sources: Extenso (2014), Fondation québécoise de la maladie coeliaque (fqmc, 2014)