Bolognese Mac & Cheese with ANCO Creamy Havarti Cheese – Week 21: Ground Meat
Bolognese sauce is a classic Northern Italian ragù. It’s very flavourful and usually served over larger pastas it can stick to, like tagliatelle.
This week’s “Ground Meat” theme inspired me to make Mac & Cheese topped with a tasty bolognese. Served over rigatoni in a velvety sauce of ANCO Creamy Havarti and Il Villaggio Parmesan, it’s sure to become a family favourite.
- In a saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Soften the onion, then add celery, carrots, and garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add ground veal and season with salt and pepper. Break up meat and cook until browned.
- Add milk and let simmer until almost completely evaporated.
- Add veal stock and let cook until reduced by half.
- Add tomatoes and mix well.
- Turn heat to low and let simmer gently, uncovered, for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste. Add herbs and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and soften onion and garlic.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Add milk and cream, beating with a whisk until smooth.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in cheeses and then pasta.
- When ready to serve, spoon a ladleful of bolognese over Mac & Cheese and top with herbs and freshly grated Parmesan.