Camembert Mac & Cheese in a Squash – Week 52: Halloween
Halloween, a folk holiday kids love, is often associated with dishes reminiscent of horror films.
This week’s Halloween theme inspired a mac & cheese with a creamy sauce made with roasted squash. Served in squashes, topped with grilled Camembert and garnished with crispy pancetta, it’s both festive and yummy. Perfect for guests on a Halloween night.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a saucepan melt 30 ml (2 tbsp.) of butter and soften the squash for about 15 minutes. Season to taste. Reduce to a purée using a potato masher. Transfer to a bowl.
- In a pot, melt the butter and soften the onion and garlic.
- Add the flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Gradually add milk and cream, beating with a whisk to obtain a smooth sauce.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Add the squash purée.
- Mix in half the cheese, cut into cubes, and then the pasta into the sauce.
- Divide macaroni and cheese among the squash halves.
- Top with several slices of Camembert.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with the crispy pancetta.