Caramel latte berry trifles
I love to use Natrel’s flavoured milks, such as its Caramel Latte milk, to infuse cakes with extra flavour and moisture, brushing the milk onto cakes before assembling into layers and onto sponge cakes for desserts like this trifle. The Caramel Latte milk is perfect for making a smooth caramel flavoured custard, with final note of coffee. Delicious to pair with fruit and fresh berries in a trifle. And you can assemble the trifle in pretty jars to take with you on picnics outside!
- Place a fine mesh sieve over a bowl. Set aside.
- Pour the milk into a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the yolks and sugar. Whisk in the flour and then the cornstarch. Set aside.
- When the milk is hot (almost boiling), pour the milk onto the egg mixture, whisking constantly, to temper the eggs.
- Pour the tempered egg mixture back into the pan.
- Continue heating the mixture, whisking constantly, to bring it up to a boil. Boil the mixture for 1 minute while whisking. Immediately strain through the sieve over the bowl, cover with plastic wrap pressed to the surface and chill completely (this takes several hours or even overnight).
Assemble the trifles
- Remove the lids from the 5 Mason jars. Spoon a couple of spoonfuls of the raspberry jam into the bottom of each jar.
- Top each with a round of sponge cake and press gently. Brush each cake generously with some Natrel Caramel Latte Flavoured Milk. Whisk the Caramel Latte custard and divide it between the 5 jars.
- Top with some berries and sprinkle with some powdered sugar just before serving.