Chili Con Carne–Style Mac & Cheese with ANCO Medium Cheddar and Salsa – Week 36: Tex-Mex
This week’s Tex-Mex theme got me dreaming about Mexico and its dishes—each more delectable than the last. Obviously tacos are a staple, whether they’re made with braised or ground beef, pork, or chicken.
So I came up with a Mac & Cheese in a smooth and yummy sauce made from ANCO medium cheddar, seasoned with chili powder and cumin, and built of layers of ground meat, black beans, crushed tomatoes, cheese, jalapeños, and green onions. It’s topped off with tomatillo and roasted jalapeño salsa verde.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and soften onion and garlic.
- Add meat and spices and continue cooking until browned.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Add milk and cream, beating with a whisk until smooth.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Add half the cheese, followed by the pasta and jalapeño.
- Pour into a baking dish, alternating layers of tomatoes, black beans, and cheese. Finish with a layer of cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden. Serve with toppings and warm tortillas or tostadas.