A rich, chocolatey take on a Portuguese classic.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease insides of a 12-muffin tin. Roll puff pastry into a cylinder and divide into 12. Press into bottom and sides of muffin cups.
- Place egg yolks in a bowl.
- Pour milk and cornstarch into a small pot. Mix well to dilute cornstarch. Add sugar and vanilla. Stir over medium heat for a few minutes until mixture thickens slightly. Watch carefully—the consistency changes rapidly! Remove from heat.
- Slowly add ½ cup warm milk mixture to egg yolks, beating lightly. This step warms the egg yolks but must not cook them.
- Add egg mixture to remaining milk in pot, beating lightly.
- Fill muffin cups, leaving 1 cm of pastry free at the top. (The mixture will expand and contract.) Bake 20–25 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before loosening from tin.