Chocolate Pumpkin Jack-O’-Lantern Cake
A rich, chocolate pumpkin cake with a hint of spice, dressed up just in time for Halloween.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease and line three 8-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix the pumpkin puree and the lemon juice. Stir in the vanilla and Natrel Dark Chocolate Milk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until fully incorporated.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients to the butter mixture in two parts, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter and cream cheese until fully incorporated. Add 4 cups of sifted icing sugar and beat until frosting thickens. If frosting is too soft, add up to 1 more cup of sifted icing sugar. (If the frosting is too stiff, beat in 1 tbsp of milk.) Stir in the cardamom and orange zest.
- Place a scant half-cup of the frosting into a smaller bowl. Incorporate black food colouring. In the large bowl of remaining frosting, incorporate orange food colouring.
To assemble the cake
- Place your bottom cake layer on a plate and top it with one third of the orange frosting. Only frost up to the cake’s edges- do not frost the sides. Repeat with the second and third cake layers.
- Pipe a Jack-O'-Lantern face onto the top of your cake.