Jerk Chicken and ANCO Gouda Mac & Cheese – Week 41: Jamaican-style
This week I’m making Jamaican-style Mac & Cheese.
This theme immediately made me think of jerk chicken, which is marinated in a very hot spice mixture (allspice, Scotch bonnet peppers, cinnamon, nutmeg, and other spices) and grilled. Originally jerk meat was cooked on a grill made of steel drums.
This spicy, aromatic Mac & Cheese is garnished with ANCO Gouda and juicy grilled chicken. Simply delicious!
- Mix olive oil, jerk spices, and lime in a bowl. Marinate the chicken in the mixture for 3 to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Barbecue or bake the chicken until cooked and well grilled. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, soften onion and garlic in oil.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Add lactose free milk and cream, beating with a whisk until smooth.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Add half the cheese, followed by the pasta. Pour into a baking dish and cover with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden. Garnish with jerk chicken and green onions.