Jumbo pasta shells stuffed with veal and mushrooms
Here’s an easy and inexpensive recipe that’s chock-full of comforting flavours. Ready in no time at all, it’s the perfect answer to that common weekday evening question: So what's for dinner tonight? All you need is a baking sheet, a few saucepans and voilà! Dinner is served!
- Place the oven rack in the top part of the oven so it is about 4 in. (10 cm) from the broiler. Preheat the oven on broil. Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and lightly oil. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook 1 minute on medium, stirring constantly. Add the milk and bring to a boil while stirring. Gently simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the onion and mushrooms in the oil for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the meat and brown. Remove from the heat. Add 1 cup (250 ml) of the tomato sauce mixture, Parmesan and most of the parsley (save a little for garnish), and mix.
- Pour the rest of the sauce onto the baking sheet. Stuff the shells with the meat mixture and transfer them to the sheet. Sprinkle with the parmesan.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. Garnish with the remaining parsley.