Lemony Pasta Alfredo
A creamy, lemony, lactose free Alfredo pasta dish that’s healthy but feels decadent.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Set aside ¼ cup (60 ml) of the water used to cook the pasta.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter (or oil) on medium until hot.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and lemon zest. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the flour and beat for 1 minute using a whisk. Do not let the flour brown. It must cook just enough so it loses its chalky aftertaste.
- Gently mix in the milk, stirring constantly. Whisk the mixture for 5 to 6 minutes or until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Add the Parmesan. Season with a few pinches of salt and some pepper to taste. Pour the sauce over the pasta and add the reserved cooking water.
- Gently mix the pasta until it is well coated.
- Divide pasta among soup plates or bowls and garnish with some Parmesan and the parsley. Finish with some freshly ground pepper.