Mac & Cheese coated with crispy breadcrumbs — Week 3: Croquette
The idea of making macaroni and cheese croquettes was quite a challenge.
So I decided to make crispy, breadcrumb-coated croquettes with creamy, melt-in-the-mouth mascarpone centres, covered in marinara sauce and garnished with Parmesan.
Simple and delicious. An explosion of flavours in the mouth.
- In a pot, melt butter and soften onion and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes. Add seasoning.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Gradually add milk beating with a whisk to obtain a smooth sauce.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Mix in half the mascarpone, the Parmesan, followed by the pasta. Let cool.
- Shape mixture into croquettes and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan and brown croquettes.
- Serve with a ladleful of marinara sauce, green onions and a spoonful of mascarpone.