Mac & Cheese with Crab, Lemongrass and Damafro Ricotta – Week 28: Crab Shack
Crab season is upon us! And whether you prefer it in crab cakes, crab risotto, a salad or just served with garlic, herb or citrus butter, crab is downright delicious.
For the Crab Shack theme, I wanted to make a slightly more sophisticated variation of Mac & Cheese.
So I tried my hand at making homemade gnocchi with ricotta and lemon.
Gnocchi sautéed in butter until just crisp, garnished with a velvety crab sauce and topped with a dollop of Damafro ricotta and a generous helping of crab meat.
This restaurant-worthy dish is pretty much impossible to resist!
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients for the gnocchi.
- On a floured surface, roll out to form a cylinder ½ in. (1 cm) in diameter.
- Cut cylinder into ½ in. (1 cm) pieces. Sprinkle with flour.
- Roll each piece on the tines of a fork to form gnocchi (if desired) and place on a floured baking sheet.
- Cook gnocchi in a large pot of salted boiling water, one piece at a time, 4 to 5 minutes or until they rise to the water’s surface. Drain and place on a plate. Set aside.
- Drizzle gnocchi with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and soften shallot and garlic.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Add milk and cream, beating with a whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Stir in Parmesan and half of crab. Keep warm.
- In a pan, brown gnocchi in a little butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve, combine gnocchi and sauce, and add herbs. Top with a dollop of ricotta and crab meat.