Mac & Cheese with Roasted Tomatoes and Il Villaggio Mascarpone Cheese – Week 23: Italian-style
What are the essential ingredients of an Italian-style dish? For me, it’s tomatoes, basil and melty cheese.
This week’s Italian-Style theme inspired me to make Mac & Cheese from roasted tomatoes, basil pesto, ANCO creamy havarti and Il Villaggio mascarpone cheese.
Alternating layers of Mac & Cheese and roasted tomatoes, pesto and creamy cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a saucepan melt butter and soften the onion and garlic.
- Add the flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Add the milk and cream, beating with a whisk to obtain a smooth sauce.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Stir in, havarti, then pasta. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour ⅓ of pasta into a baking dish and cover with ⅓ of pesto, a few spoonfuls of mascarpone and a few roasted tomatoes.
- Continue making layers, finishing with mascarpone and tomatoes. Garnish with breadcrumbs mixed with the melted butter.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.