Macaroni and Cheese Chowder – Week 49: Seashore
Ah, the seashore—with its sights, sounds, and salty air! And what could be better than a dockside chowder served with fresh clams?
This week’s theme inspired me to create a macaroni and cheese based on this classic New England comfort food. A creamy, flavorful chowder with corn kernels to remind us of summer, cooked au gratin with 1 year old Cheddar and garnished with crispy bacon.
And how about trying fresh clams cooked your favorite way (smoked, steamed, or fried), topped with aged Cheddar and cooked under the grill!
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a pot, melt butter and soften leeks for 3 to 4 minutes. Season.
- Add flour and stir 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown. Gradually add milk and cream, beating with a whisk to obtain a smooth sauce.
- Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Mix in 2 cups cheese, pasta, and corn.
- Pour into an ovenproof dish.
- Top with bacon and rest of cheese, and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
- Garnish clams with cheese and breadcrumb/melted cheese mixture. Cook under the grill and serve on the macaroni.