OKA cream Mac & Cheese — Week 7: Microbrews
Microbrewed beers are flavourful and complex. Whether white, blonde, brown or amber, they all go well with cheese.
Given this week’s Microbrew theme, I decided to make a Mac & Cheese with OKA cream and the blonde beer, La Saison du Tracteur. Ultra-creamy, with lots of OKA cream, Parmesan and bacon. This fruity, lightly spiced blonde beer makes all the difference in this easy recipe.
Explore the world of beer and try combining various cheeses and beers in your Mac & Cheese. So good, you’ll throw out all your boxes of store-bought macaroni and cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- In a pot, melt the butter and soften onion and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Gradually add beer, beating with a whisk to obtain a smooth sauce.
- Add milk and cream. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until the sauce thickens.
- Add the cheeses, followed by the pasta.
- Pour into an ovenproof dish.
- Top with breadcrumb for 15 minutes or until golden. Garnish with bacon.