Primavera – a term often associated with a vegetable-based pasta dish – means spring in Italian. Here we take the essence of pasta primavera (the plethora of fresh spring vegetables) and turn it into a comforting soup for rainy spring days.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms.
- Cook, stirring often, until vegetables have softened and onions are translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir in beans, broccoli and flour. Stir to coat vegetables with flour.
- Slowly stir in milk, a bit at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Add vegetable broth, peas and bay leaf.
- Bring to a simmer; stir often.
- Allow it to simmer until broccoli and peas are crisp tender, or desired consistency (about 5 minutes).