Salted Caramel Popcorn
A delectable sweet-and-salty popcorn that makes for a perfect movie-night treat.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, mix popcorn kernels and oil with a wooden spoon. Cover and place over medium heat until kernels start to pop.
- Swirl saucepan regularly without removing the lid. When the popping rate starts to slow down, remove saucepan from heat. Wait until all the kernels have popped, then transfer to a large bowl. Throw out any unpopped kernels. Set aside.
- In the still-warm saucepan, mix sugar, butter, water and salt. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on high heat, until caramel is amber-coloured.
- Remove saucepan from heat, then slowly add milk. Return to heat for 2 minutes, stirring until milk is completely absorbed, then remove from heat.
- Pour popcorn onto caramel, stirring with a wooden spoon to coat popcorn evenly.
- Spread the popcorn onto the cookie sheet, making sure that the pieces aren’t stacked on top of each other. Watching closely, bake for 6 minutes or until dark golden brown.
- Allow to cool to room temperature. Pour into a large bowl, breaking apart any clumps, and serve.