Smoked-Meat Mac & Cheese — Week 4: Typically Montreal
Montreal’s famous smoked-meat sandwiches are made with spicy beef brisket, cooked slowly to juicy perfection.
The Typically Montreal theme was a great opportunity to use this local specialty in a macaroni and cheese dish.
Garnished with a mountain of hot, juicy smoked meat, this Mac & Cheese is covered in a crispy breadcrumb topping made with rye bread. It features smoked Jarlsberg for a sharper cheese taste, Saint-Paulin cheese revealing hints of butter and walnut, and a heaping spoonful of Dijon mustard. A new take on the smoked-meat sandwiches so typical of Montreal.
- In a pot, melt butter and soften onion for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Gradually add milk and cream, beating with a whisk to obtain a smooth sauce.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Mix in mustard, the cheese and the pasta.
- Garnish with smoked meat and breadcrumbs toasted and coarsely crushed.