Turkey Pie Mac & Cheese — Week 8: Holiday Time
Mac & Cheese is an integral part of North American cuisine. For example, in many families in the United States, it would be unthinkable to serve a Thanksgiving turkey without macaroni and cheese.
On a Holiday Time theme, with its traditional turkey and leftovers, I decided to make a turkey pie Mac & Cheese, with peas, carrots, a creamy béchamel sauce, lots of gruyere, Parmesan and, of course, turkey.
Sure to please the whole family after a day of winter activities.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- In a pot, melt the butter and soften the onions, garlic, celery and carrots for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Gradually add milk and chicken stock, beating with a whisk to obtain a smooth sauce. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until the sauce thickens.
- Add the turkey and half the gruyere, and then the pasta. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into an ovenproof dish.
- Top with the rest of the gruyere and the Parmesan. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.