Zucchini and Breaded Cheese Mac & Cheese – Week 27: Good for Kids
Everybody knows that kids love macaroni and cheese. But, they’re not always so keen on eating vegetables!
This week’s Good for Kids theme inspired me to design a Mac & Cheese containing vegetables that kids won’t even notice.
This wonderfully creamy dish, with its mild cheese taste, is made with grated zucchini that blends in with the rest of the ingredients, making it all but invisible to kids. They won’t even know it’s there.
I garnish it with crispy, melt-in-your-mouth, breaded cheese cubes. Comforting and delicious!
- In a pot, melt the butter and soften the onion and zucchini for about 5 minutes or until golden. Add seasoning.
- Add the flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Gradually add the milk and cream, beating with a whisk to obtain a smooth sauce.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
FRY CHEESE CUBES
- Coat the cheese cubes in flour, beaten egg, and then breadcrumbs.
- In a pan or fryer, fry the cheese cubes until golden and crispy. Use to garnish macaroni.
- Mix in the sauce 2 cups of the cheeses, then the pasta and herbs.
- Pour into the bowls and garnish with the rest of the cheese and the fry cheese cubes.