Using the right amount of smoked gouda cheese, chipotle and sausage will give you the perfect macaroni and cheese in terms of flavour and texture. The subtle flavour of the smoked Gouda sauce goes really well with the crispy, smoked paprika breadcrumb topping. Have a taste!
- 375 g penne or other short pasta, cooked al dente
- 3 tbsp. Natrel butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup Lapsang Souchong tea, brewed
- 3½ cups Natrel Fine-Filtered 3.25% milk
- 2 cups Agropur Grand Cheddar aged 2 years, grated
- 1 cup ANCO smoked Gouda, grated
- 1 cup Il Villaggio Parmesan, grated
- 1 chorizo sausage, finely chopped
Crispy breadcrumb topping
- 1 cup Panko-style breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Il Villaggio Parmesan, grated
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika, mild or spicy, to taste
- ¼ cup Natrel butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, half of the parmesan, paprika and butter.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden.
- In a pot, melt the butter and soften the garlic.
- Add the flour and stir for 1 minute, making sure the flour doesn’t brown.
- Add brewed tea and milk, beating with a whisk to obtain a smooth sauce.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until sauce thickens.
- Mix in half of the cheddar, smoked Gouda, half of the parmesan and pasta. Pour into a baking dish, cover with the remaining cheddar, breadcrumbs and chorizo.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.