Scalloped potatoes, also known as potatoes au gratin, is a Québec culinary classic borrowed from our French cousins. We kept what makes this dish great but added a modern touch: This recipe is made with lactose-free products!
To make lactose-free scalloped potatoes, you’ll need Natrel Lactose Free 2%, Lactose Free 35% Whipping Cream and our extra sharp cheddar cheese, which is also lactose-free. The steps of the recipe are as simple and easy as in the original recipe. Say hello to this simple and delicious side dish and host your family and friends without the fuss!
- 6 large white potatoes, peeled and sliced using a mandolin to a thickness of about 3 mm (1/8 in)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into rings using a mandolin to the same thickness as the potatoes
- 250 ml (1 cup) Natrel Lactose Free 35% Whipping Cream
- 250 ml (1 cup) Natrel Lactose Free 2%
- Salt and pepper
- 100 g (1 cup) Natrel extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Fresh thyme
- Place rack in bottom of oven. Preheat oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- In a 23 cm (9 in) square baking dish or a 28 x 20 cm (11 x 8 in) rectangular dish, spread out the sliced potatoes and onion. Pour the whipping cream and the milk. Salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with cheese (optional) and thyme.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and golden brown. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving. The potatoes will be easier to cut.
- Add a generous amount of pepper when serving. Serve as a side dish with meat or fondue.