There's probably nothing more comforting than the first autumn soups. After summer, the return of red leaves, a less lenient Mother Nature and the abundance of organic vegetables is always warm to the heart. You will be surprised by the velvety aspect of this organic milk based soup. Cauliflower is a vegetable naturally rich in pectin, which makes it look like a soup-cream, without adding cream. Vegetables can be varied infinitely, as long as you get a total amount of 1L (4 cups) of coarsely cut vegetables. We add a touch of Natrel Organic Fine-Filtered 3.8% Milk to the finish and voila!
For the soup
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and coarsely cut
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and cut into 2
- 1 tsp (5 mL) maple syrup or honey
- 250 ml (1 cup) of organic carrots, peeled and coarsely cut into slices (about 2 medium carrots)
- 250 ml (1 cup) potato, peeled and coarsely cut (about 2 medium potatoes)
- 250 ml (1 cup) cauliflower, roughly cut into florets
- 250 ml (1 cup) butternut squash, peeled and coarsely cut
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken or vegetable broth
- 500 ml (2 cups) of Natrel Organic Fine-Filtered 3.8% Milk
For the hash brown potato filling
- 2 small organic potatoes, unpeeled, cut into small cubes
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) cumin
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- chives, chiseled
In a large, thick-bottomed casserole, sauté the onion in oil and butter over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and maple syrup and continue cooking for 1 minute, without browning the garlic. Add the vegetables (carrots, potatoes, cauliflower and squash). Continue cooking for a few minutes.
Deglaze with the chicken broth while scraping the bottom of the casserole to release the juices of cooking. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. for garnished hash browns Meanwhile, in a pan over medium high heat, heat the oil. Add the potatoes and brown until golden brown and crispy, about 10 minutes.
Reduce to medium low heat and add the cumin seeds and garlic. Pepper and salt. Continue cooking for 5 minutes to allow the flavours to develop, then remove from heat.
Add the chopped fresh chives and set aside. for the final preparation of the comforting soup with organic autumn vegetables Once the vegetables are cooked, pass the preparation to the blender to obtain a smooth and homogeneous preparation. Add the milk and adjust the seasoning. Divide the soup into the bowls. Top with hash brown potato topping.